11.04.2013

Catelli Gluten-Free Pasta

I was recently asked if I'd be interested in reviewing Catelli's new gluten-free pasta. As a blogger you get this kind of offer quite frequently. This time I was curious enough to accept a box to try. 
I've posted on pasta before. After living two years in Italy, I have learned that pasta is not to be taken lightly… and that good pasta (gluten-free or otherwise) is not as fool proof as some think. It needs lots of boiling water - plenty of salt, watching, testing and an agile maneuver to drain it quickly before it over cooks. 

Never, ever, rinse the pasta. 

I'm very happy to report that this box of Catelli did not disappoint. William and I whipped up this dish on a night when we were way too exhausted to put much time or effort into the sauce. We chopped up red onion, bacon, and tossed in a (gasp) JAR of organic primavera sauce that we let simmer for 30 minutes. Just before serving we tossed in fresh spinach. We drained the pasta and stirred it into our nearly instant sauce. This simple dinner was totally terrific. Add a few candles to the table, and it was even romantic!


We loved the texture and consistency of the fusilli. It's a little bit heavier than the brown rice version we've been eating. This is likely due to a tighter shape but also the inclusion of other grains. It's made with both brown and white rice, corn and quinoa. Molto, molto buono. 

I am delighted to have a new option on the shelf to choose from. I'd love to know how the spaghetti fares. That shape can be rather tricky in the gluten-free category. While I've been cooking gluten-free pasta for more than 30 years… in my experience it's difficult to find long pastas like spaghetti and fettucini that don't clump together. I'll be giving Catelli's a test drive. For those of us with serious gluten restrictions, you'll be happy to know that this product is made in a strictly gluten-free facility. Grazie Catelli - e buon appetito!


No comments:

Post a Comment