3.25.2012

gluten at home - what's your biggest challenge?

For my first 20 years on a gluten-free diet I lived at home. Meals, and what was in the larder was the domain of my mother. Sometimes I ate a different meal than the rest of my family, but it was more likely a variation - Chinese vermicelli rice noodles in place of pasta. In the 70's and early 80's that was the "pasta" available...I can't blame my family for not wanting to join me. I don't remember many other exceptions...My Mum wasn't interested in cooking two versions of everything - everyone had what I was having when it came to dinner.

Over the next 20 years I've lived in a variety of living arrangements. I've lived with roommates, stayed with families and spent a number of years on my own. Alone is by far the easiest gluten-free lifestyle - until you find someone who is quite happy to join you in your diet (with the occasional loaf of french bread on the side). I've arrived. Today the pasta is still rice, but everyone in our household eats it. It's good enough to serve to guests.

Everyone needs a safe place to call home, and I know that not everyone is as lucky as I am in this department. What do you find the biggest challenge when it comes living with others and having gluten in the house?

No comments:

Post a Comment